Study Abroad | Incoming Students

Please note the information on this page is for students from overseas. If you are a current USW student, see the information for outgoing students.

The Faculty of Creative Industries (FCI) at the University of South Wales offers student exchange opportunities through its Erasmus and international exchange programmes. If you are currently studying at one of our partner institutions you can apply to spend a year (or sometimes less) here and gain credits towards your course.


Erasmus+ is the European Commission’s programme for higher education students, teachers and institutions. It forms part of the European Union’s Lifelong Learning Programme and supports co-operation between the universities of 31 countries, allowing students and staff to study or work in one of the participating countries.

The Faculty of Creative Industries has partnership agreements with a number of EU universities. You can apply to come here under the Erasmus scheme if you are currently at one of the following institutions:

Erasmushogeschool Brussel (undergraduate, postgraduate)
Luca School of Arts Campus Sint-Lukas Brussel (undergraduate)

American University in Bulgaria (undergraduate)

Czech Republic:
Filmova a Televizni Fakulta Amu (undergraduate)
Univerzita Karlova v Praze (undergraduate, postgraduate)
Janáčkova akademie múzických umění v Brně (undergraduate, postgraduate)

Hämeen Ammattikorkeakoulu (undergraduate)

Université Toulouse III Paul Sabatier (undergraduate)

Hochschule München (undergraduate)
University of Applied Sciences Europe (formerly Berliner Technische Kunsthochschule (BTK)) (undergraduate)

Pázmány Péter Catholic University, Budapest (postgraduate research only)

Dun Laoghaire Institute of Art, Design and Technology, Dublin (undergraduate)
Mary Immaculate College, Limerick (undergraduate)

Politecnico di Milano (undergraduate, postgraduate)
Università degli Studi Roma Tre (postgraduate)

Koninklijke Academie van Beeldende Kunsten, Den Haag (undergraduate)
Hogeschool Inholland (Haarlem Campus only) (undergraduate)

Høgskulen i Volda (undergraduate, postgraduate)
Universitetet i Oslo (undergraduate, postgraduate)

Universidad Do Minho (undergraduate)

Universitatea de Arte Târgu Mureş (undergraduate, postgraduate)

CEU Universidad San Pablo (undergraduate)
Escola Superior Politécnica – Fundació TecnoCampus Mataró-Maresme (undergraduate, postgraduate)
La Salle Universitat Ramon Llull (undergraduate)
Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Tarragona, Catalunya (postgraduate)

Linnéuniversitetet, Växjö (undergraduate)
Uppsala Universitet (undergraduate)

International exchange

The Faculty of Creative Industries also hosts exchange students from a number of institutions outside the European Union. You can apply to come here under the international exchange scheme if you are currently at one of the following institutions:

Fanshawe College, London, Ontario
University of the Fraser Valley, Abbotsford, British Columbia
Ryerson University, Faculty of Communication and Design, Toronto

Hong Kong:
Lingnan University

United States of America:
University of Central Missouri, Warrensburg
Eastern Illinois University, Charleston
Mercy College, Dobbs Ferry, New York
University of South Dakota, Vermillion
Western Carolina University, Cullowhee

Length of study

We normally offer exchange opportunities over a full academic year. This is because most of our modules run for the full academic year. Half-year placements (September-December or January-June) are sometimes possible, but your choice of modules (especially in the spring) will be much more limited.

Please note that all your assessment marks will be provisional until confirmed by the university’s assessment boards in late June. This is the case no matter when in the year you leave. If you think this may cause a problem with transferring credit to your course at home, please contact your institution’s exchange coordinator for advice.

What you can study

The Faculty of Creative Industries has courses in the areas of Design, Fashion, Photography, Art, Animation, Games, Music, Performance, Broadcasting, Journalism and Film. Information about our courses is available at

All Faculty of Creative Industries courses are made up of modules worth between 20 and 60 credits. Students normally study 120 credits in a year. Twenty University of South Wales credits are the equivalent of 10 ECTS credits, which is the credit system used in most of Europe.

Students studying a complete degree course here follow a defined pathway with a limited range of modules that they can choose from each year. As an exchange student it is sometimes possible for you to choose one or two modules from outside the normal course structure. However, modules from the same course and level are designed to complement each other, and will fit together better in the timetable.

Information about individual modules is available on the Integrated Curriculum Information System (ICIS). You can search ICIS by module or course. You should search by course initially. This will tell you what modules students on that course usually study at each level and how many credits they are worth.

Level 4 is the first year of an undergraduate course, Level 5 is the second year, and Level 6 is the final year. Masters (postgraduate) courses are Level 7. Most undergraduate exchange students study modules from Level 5, or if they have more experience in the subject area, Level 6, i.e. second- or third-year modules.

Undergraduate courses are prefixed BA, BMus or BSc, postgraduate courses are prefixed MA or MSc. Please note that FdA and FdSc (foundation degree) courses are mostly taught at our partner colleges and are not available for exchange students. Most modules are taught in English, some are also available in Welsh.

ICIS does not show the time of year when modules run. The current year’s timetable is available online, but please note that it may change from year to year. It is updated in the summer.


All Faculty of Creative Industries courses are based at the University’s Cardiff Campus except Art Practice, which is based in Treforest.

Application process

There are several stages (download a checklist):

  • You apply to your home institution to take part
  • They nominate you to us
  • We check whether appropriate modules will be available at the time you wish to come
  • We accept the nomination subject to appropriate modules being available
  • You apply to us by the deadline
  • We may ask to see a portfolio or interview you for some courses, especially at postgraduate level
  • We accept you (hopefully!)
  • You confirm that you want the place
  • If a visa is required our Admissions department will assist you in getting the required paperwork
  • You choose your modules (this can be discussed earlier in the process)
  • You complete a learning agreement

First, check if your home institution has a partnership with the Faculty of Creative Industries, by consulting the appropriate list above. If a partnership exists, you should contact the Erasmus/international exchange coordinator in your home institution as they need to recommend you to us before your application can be taken further. Please check your institution’s deadline for this.

Once you have been accepted by your home institution, they will contact us and inform us that you wish to apply – this is 'nomination’. We will confirm whether we are able to accept the nomination, subject to appropriate modules being available.

You should then apply to the University of South Wales using our direct application system. You do not need to apply through UCAS.

From the Apply page:

  • Click 'Apply Directly’
  • Register (create a username and password)
  • Log in
  • Follow the on-screen instructions. You can save your application at any time and go back to it later.
  • Your 'Proposed Course’ depends on whether you are coming under the Erasmus or international exchange scheme, how long you are staying, and which campus you want to study at.
    • Where it says 'Course Title’ type in 'exchange’. A range of exchange options will be listed.
    • If you are currently studying at a European university you should select Erasmus Scheme (FCI Whole Year Exchange) or Erasmus Scheme (FCI Half Year Exchange) with the appropriate start date and campus. ATRiuM is the Cardiff campus.
    • If you are currently studying outside Europe, choose Exchange Scheme (FCI Whole Year Exchange) or Exchange Scheme (FCI Half Year Exchange) with the appropriate start date and campus. ATRiuM is the Cardiff campus.
    • Do not enter the name of the subject you want to study in the 'Proposed Course’ section. This may lead to your application being directed to the wrong person and it could cause a substantial delay in the processing of your application.
  • In the 'Personal Statement’, if you know what course/modules you are interested in, please include this information.
  • Under 'Language Skills’, if you are a native English speaker, under 'Qualification Name’ choose 'Other’.

Module choices and learning agreements

Erasmus students are required to sign an Erasmus learning agreement. Please contact the Erasmus coordinator at your home institution for details. We have our own learning agreement proformas for international exchange students. Your learning agreement states which modules you will be studying and how many credits they are worth. They are signed by you, us and your home institution.

You are advised to make a provisional choice of modules before arriving in the UK. Please also have some reserve choices in case any become unavailable. Approval of your module choices will be subject to availability and suitability.

We recommend that you choose modules from within the same course and level. Please be aware that some combinations of modules may be unavailable due to timetabling constraints. The timetable is published in late summer.

If you are here for only part of the year your module choices will be limited, especially if you arrive in January, as many modules run for the full year.

Deadlines for application

September start (half or full year):

  • Nominations: 15th March
  • Applications: 31st March

January start (half year):

  • Nominations: As soon as possible
  • Applications: 31st October

Term dates

Term dates can be found at


Incoming exchange students are responsible for arranging their own accommodation. The university’s Accommodation Office can help (details below).

Rooms in halls of residence can be booked online. Some are owned by the university and some are privately run. The halls in Cardiff are privately run and they normally require international students to pay in full at the beginning of the academic year. The closest hall of residence to the Cardiff campus is Liberty Bridge.

Rooms in halls of residence are normally only available for the whole academic year. If you intend to come for only part of the year, you should contact the Accommodation Office to discuss your options. If you arrive in January there may be places available if other students wish to move out.

There is plenty of private accommodation in shared houses in Cardiff. You need to find this yourself, but the Accommodation Office can offer guidance. Students have found accommodation in the past by searching online, or staying in a cheap hotel/hostel when they arrive and searching when they get here.

More information about accommodation options is available on the University’s Accommodation pages or by contacting the Accommodation Office at: or +44 (0)1443 482044 (includes a 24-hour answer machine).

Visa information

Information on visas for non-European Union citizens

Getting to the University of South Wales

Information on arriving at the university

Maps showing the location of the campuses

Further information

Contacts for further information about Erasmus/Exchange at the Faculty of Creative Industries:
Faculty Erasmus/Exchange Coordinator, Marta Miner Tel: +44 (0)1443 668548
Student Administrator, Marian Long Tel: +44 (0)1443 668529
Student Administrator, Christine Waters Tel: +44 (0)1443 668567

General information for international students coming to the University of South Wales

University of South Wales Facebook group

Explanation of the grading system used at the university

UK Council for International Student Affairs (external link)